The University of Himachal Pradesh was founded on 22 July 1970. It is located at Summer Hill, 5 km away from Shimla, the main town. Nestled among tall and lush green trees of deodars, peas, pines, and rhododendrons, the University. The university’s position offers a beautiful panoramic view of the forests, settled around Summer Hill. The camps where one half bathes towards the east in the fresh dawn, and another half in the magnificence of the West ‘s rare sunset. Overlooking majestic mountain ranges peaked in snow add to the university’s lofty ideals and vision. The savory environment and peace offer a comfortable atmosphere to undertake higher studies. The campus of the University covers an area of 200 acres and was designed to have a distinctive architectural style. Himachal Pradesh University is the state’s only multi-academic and affiliated university. It strongly believes in what Jawahar Lal Nehru, India’s first prime minister, also said. Cited summons address at Allahabad University, “A University stands for humanism, for democracy, for the country, for development, for the adventure of ideas and the quest for reality.
Distinct Features of University
- Accredited by National Council on Evaluation & Accreditation (NAAC)
- UGC acknowledged Himalayan Center of Excellence
- Self-financing system for pioneered NRI
- Starting Distance Education in the country first
- Faculty which is enriched scientifically and professionally
- HPU Alumni Outstanding in All Sphere
- Equal and creditable Semester Exam program
- Departments of special assistance in History, Physics, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Bio-Sciences
- Academic Staff College among India ‘s best
- Praiseworthy national success in sports and cultural events.
- Congenial environment for higher studies
- A substantial number of students qualify each year for NET, GATE and other competitive exams
- Relations with regional and foreign organizations
- The culture of holding workshops, seminars, conferences, symposia, etc.
- NCC, NSS, youth welfare programmers achieve at the national level.
- Free tuition for schoolgirls.
- One seat is reserved for a single girl child in each department.
Periodicals, Books, Research Papers and journals
Great seating capacity of 600 +
Well maintained Physical Infrastructure
Well Facilitated Teaching blocks and classrooms
Auditorium, Administrative Blocks, Hostels Boys & Girls, Faculty House
A residential facility is available for Professors and other non-teaching staff.